The CU Installer applies Clarity Connect cumulative updates. Clarity Connect services are shut down, updates are applied, and upon completion, services are restarted.
Populate the worksheet below before installing the Clarity Connect CU (Table 1). These values will be used with the installer.
Table 1 CU Installer worksheet
Runtime Database Server
Runtime Database Name
Data Warehouse Server
Data Warehouse Name
Connect Directory (including instance folder)
Ex. C:\Program Files\Clarity Consulting\Clarity Connect
Log in to the application server as a user with the following permissions:
- local admin rights
- read rights on the runtime and data warehouse databases
- query rights on the runtime and data warehouse databases
- create/alter table rights on the runtime and data warehouse databases
Start the CU Installer and use the worksheet above (Table 1) to populate values during the installation.
The CU Installer automatically creates a backup of the entire Clarity Connect directory and restores it should any issues arise. In addition, the CU Installer automatically tests the connections to the databases and notifies the user of any issues before proceeding with the installation.
The CU Installer automatically stops any running services and starts them at the end of the installation. Reporting files are automatically uploaded.
Downtime vs. Rolling Upgrades
If any version between the current software version and the CU Installer's latest version requires a downtime period due to database updates, the CU Installer will coordinate with other CU Installers running on additional Clarity Connect servers in this instance. No CU Installer will proceed with updating the database until it detects that all Clarity Connect services have been stopped across all servers for this instance.
Running the CU Installer in parallel on all of the instance's servers is both supported and recommended for downtime installations (Figure 1). This ensures all services are stopped automatically before proceeding with database updates. Services are restarted after database updates are complete.
Figure 1 Three-server simultaneous update
If an upgrade does not require downtime, it is not recommended to run the CU Installer simultaneously across all Clarity Connect server instances. This may result in all services being stopped, creating unintentional downtime. Instead, it is recommended to run the CU Installer separately on each Clarity Connect instance, creating a rolling upgrade process (Figure 2).
Figure 2 Rolling server update
While the CU Installer supports running different cumulative update versions on different servers for a limited period of time, it is not supported for day-to-day operations. All Clarity Connect servers in an instance must be running on the same cumulative update version.
Apply Cumulative Updates
- Download the CU Installer from the Customer Download site at http://connect.claritycon.com/downloads
- Right-click the latest cumulative update folder and select Properties.
- Under the General tab, click Unblock and then click Apply. Click OK, and then right-click the .zip folder and select Extract All > Extract.
- After extracting the files, double-click the latest cumulative update folder and then double-click PatchInstaller. The CU Installer will appear.
- Click Next (Figure 3).
- From the drop-down menu, select the Clarity Connect instance name to apply the CU to and then click Next (Figure 4).
- The server and database names populate based on the instance entered in the previous step. Verify these names are correct and then click Next (Figure 5).
- Click Next (Figure 6). If a database connection fails, the user will be notified for further troubleshooting.
- The Clarity Connect installation directory path populates based on the instance selected. Verify the directory path is correct and then click Next (Figure 7).
- Click Next (Figure 8).
- Click Next (Figure 9).
- The CU Installer automatically stops all active services. When all services display a Stopped status, click Next (Figure 10).
- The CU Installer displays a status bar during the installation process, which includes a SQL index update. When the CU update displays a Finished status, click Next (Figure 11 and Figure 12).
- The CU Installer automatically restarts all previously active services. When all services display a Running status, click Next (Figure 13).
- Click Exit (Figure 14).
Contact Clarity Connect Support
To report an issue, contact Clarity Connect support via e-mail at email@example.com, or log on to the support portal at https://connectsupport.claritycon.com.
For immediate assistance, call 1.855.983.6368 or 1.312.863.3103.
Appendix: Manual Rollback
The CU Installer automatically performs a rollback if a failure is encountered during the update process.
To perform a manual rollback, Clarity Connect recommends using the CU Silent Installer.
The CU Silent Installer silently invokes and applies rollbacks via a Command Prompt window.
The CU Silent Installer only supports rollbacks to the previously installed cumulative update version. Multiple version rollbacks and rollbacks prior to Clarity Connect 4.0 are not supported.
- Press Win and then type cmd. Right-click the Command Prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
- Navigate to the folder where the CU Silent Installer is unzipped. Example: type cd C:/program files...
- Type PatchInstaller.exe -s -r on the command line and press Enter to invoke the CU Silent Installer.
- The CU rollback is now complete. Clarity Connect services will automatically restart for each Clarity Connect instance.
Although it is not recommended, a manual rollback may also be performed using the following steps:
- Log in to the application server as a user with local admin rights.
- Stop all Clarity Connect services using Windows Services.
- Stop the Clarity Connect website and Application Pool using IIS.
- Navigate to the Backups directory located in the Connect Directory worksheet parameter.
- Extract the content of the desired backup to a temporary folder.
- Replace all contents in the Connect Directory worksheet parameter with the data from the temporary folder.
- Start all Clarity Connect services using Windows Services.
- Start the Clarity Connect website and Application Pool using IIS.